Pursuant to the creation of the College of Science by the Board of Regents in its 962nd meeting on the 26th October 1983, the College of Science Library (CSLIB) was established by virtue of U.P. Administrative Order No. 62 (series of 1987). Through the initiative of its first dean, Dr. Roger Posadas, the library was inaugurated on 24th June 1987 and since then, the library has been performing its function in assisting the college in its basic functions of instruction, research and extension services.
From 1987 to 1994, the CSLIB operated as a traditional library with a collection composed mainly of print materials transferred from the Science Section of the U.P. Main Library and the National Science Research Institute. For access to information, it made use of the card catalog and printed abstracts and indexes. Interlibrary loan was limited to libraries within the University of the Philippines System and among neighboring university libraries.
The College of Science Libraries, as one of the unit libraries of the University Library, upholds its’ commitment in providing the best resources in science information, transformative library services to meet the emerging needs, spaces and technologies in support of instruction, learning, research, extension and public service.
Furthermore, the library remains critically responsive, dynamic and innovative to be relevant and sustainable in the changing environment.
The objectives of the College of Science Library are focused towards the attainment of its mission, vision and goal. These objectives are to provide the users with the best possible information support by:
1. Strengthening the collection of resource materials in the sciences;
2. Creating, acquiring and managing electronic resources to facilitate easy and convenient use of relevant scholarly information;
3. Improving the users’ services by creating a user data that will be used as a tool in the assessment and evaluation of users’ needs;
4. Ensuring that the library provides the best possible support for research and teaching by encouraging more interaction and collaboration with the students and faculty;
5. Aligning the library’s collection services and activities with the university’s priorities; and
6. Enhancing the capability of our satellite libraries to support the institute’s program of research.
In addition, the library would like to:
1. Link up with other institutions for purposes of resource sharing (referral services, interlibrary loan agreements, and document delivery services);
2. Provide consultancy services and training (seminars, hands-on, and on-the job programs) to other librarians who are starting to automate their libraries;
3. Develop appropriate user education and training packages; and
4. Conduct research and publish their findings
Administrative Officer &
Special Collecting Officer
of NIMBB Library
of IM Library
of IB Library
of NIP Library
Head of Technical Section
& Building Administrator
of IESM & MSEP Library
Head of Readers
Circulation & Bindery
Acquisition & Extension
Librarian's Office Staff
of IC Library
of NIGS Library
Copyright © 2021 All Rights Reserved.
Funded by the Office of the Vice President for Planning and Finance, University of the Philippines System